Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10%homemade ice cream

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
John23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10%homemade ice cream
    Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 2:02pm
Hi Michael, thanks for the advice, Ill check it out.  Smile
Sponsored Links

formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 11:35am
John

I have had a look over some of the posts on overrun and suspect they are of limited help to you.
I only have the time to make brief comments on queries.

You might find  a book by Gail Damerow entitled "Ice cream!: the whole scoop" to be of some help. I recall that there were a number of very practical comments made on overrun that should apply in the shop situation. If you search on Google Books you will find the book.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 10:07pm
John 

I can only guess from the information available!

If you send me an Email to webmaster at dairyscience.info giving me the make and model of your freezer I will attempt to find what the the maximum overrun rating is.

I have seen various estimates of overrun possible with commercial 'shop' freezers.  Basic non-aerated machines may give 35-50%. I have seen one manufacturer claim for up to 80%.

You can calculate overrun as per the instructions at the University of Guelph website.

John23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 3:49am
Hi Michael, I have a small shop. I realize that there are commercial cont. machines that can pump out 300+ liters per hour with 100-130% overrun, but my question is relating to making the ice cream with a commercial grade batch freezer.  What amount of overrun can I expect when using a batch freezer, 30%?
Have a nice day Michael
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 8:46pm
Hi John

Apologies for delay in responding. To help I would need to see your equipment and to understand how you freeze your mix.

I think you are making ice cream at home? If so I suspect that your equipment or lack of equipment may be the reason.

To produce ice cream with an acceptable overrun you need to force the air in during the freezing process.  Commercially this is done with special equipment. There are a range of machines that can be used to make ice cream at home.

Commercial ice cream has an overrun of 90- 100%.
John23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:32am
I am using a batch freezer, and it doesnt really matter if I half fill it with liquid or fill it right up. I get a little bit of overrun but not much.  In my latest batch, I increased the stabilizer amount and I was able to fill a 5ltr tray with 4kg of mix. (sorbet mix)  Can this be increased? Is there anything I can add to aid in this?
Thanks
John
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 11:40pm
John

Good to see you back again. You say that you are getting no overrun. Can you explain briefly how you are making your ice cream? In particular how are you freezing and adding air to your mix?
John23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 4:51am
Hello Michael, I have been using Mono-Diglyceride and found it to work well.
I would like some advice though on overrun?  I am not getting any overrun on my sorbet or ice cream.  Is there any additive to increase this? I have tried Gelatin, LBG, Xanthan Gum, guar Gum and still dont get enough overrrun.  I do get a tiny amount of overrun with the ice cream using gelatin.  I dont want to use eggs in my mix. Im using batch freezer.
Thanks again
John
John23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 12:49am
Thanks for the info, ill keep you posted.
john
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 5:23pm
John

As far as ice cream is concerned gelatin can slightly depress overrun- see Hyde, K. A. and Rothwell, J. (1973). Ice Cream. Edinburgh, Scotland : Churchill Livingstone. p46. However this is not an issue if it is used with an emulsifier.

Glycerol monostearate (GMS) is a 'natural substance' that makes a good emulsifier for use in ice cream production. It has a long history of use and has GRAS status. I know of no particular heath concerns for GMS. Egg yolk is a very good natural emulsifier for use in ice cream.

I am not aware of safety considerations relating to the consumption of ice cream containing commercial emulsifiers. I suggest you search for commercial products On Line.

I note you do not have a homogeniser. This would be useful.

Note that when using gelatin you need to age your mix for at least 4 h prior to freezing.

John23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 12:36am
Michael, thanks for your prompt reply! 
I was under the impression that Gelatin promotes high overrun and so less suitable for sherbets and ices?
Can you suggest a good commercial emulsifier that I can use that does not cause CANCER! I do not have the means to Homogenize the mix.
thanks again,
John
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 12:10am
John

I wish to clarify my comments on emulsifiers.

I did note that you were using gelatin(e) but should have said a little more. While certain types of gelatin can be used as an emulisfier in some foods I am not personally familiar with its use in ice cream for anything other than a stabiliser. You may  be aware that  its use can depress overrun but again egg yolk or  agood commercial emulsifier can deal with this.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 8:33pm
John

Firstly you do not appear to be using an emulsifier! I recommend that you either purchase a good commercial emulsifier or use egg yolk and homogenise your mix. This should help.

Providing the quantities of sugar and fat are as per your specification- I have not checked your calculations- your fat:sugar balance seemsto be correct, common cause of similar problems to yours.

Check out your mix calculation using www.dairyscience.info/gelato.asp .

Hope this helps.
John23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 2:31pm
Hello, I am wanting to make some ice cream using a 10% fat ice cream mix.  The problem that I am having is that the finished product is leaving a "fatty" sensation on the roof of the mouth after you eat it.
I am using the following formula:
10% fat
11.5%msnf
15% sugar
.3 % stab (Gelatine)
the rest water

Based on 1kg of mix:
285g cream (35%fat)  99.75fat, 16.21msnf 169g water
101.7g skim milk powder 98.6msnf 3.05water
150g sugar
3g gelatine

water colors\flavors to make the mix upto 1000g