Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Science > Food Science
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clumping whey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clumping whey
    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 11:14am
Apologies. On checking the SPAM folder I noted your post this morning. Do you still require a response?
Sponsored Links

Set_Asura View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Set_Asura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 2:41pm
Hello everyone, 

I am in the midst of developing a protein shake formulation and have been encountering real problems making a Whey Protein Concentrate formulation not clump. I am only using three ingredients; WPC powder, a thickener gum and an artificial flavouring. Any ideas on why this might be and how I can get around it? It is less prominent in a blend with Whey Protein Isolate included, but I am resolved to make it work with just WPC.

For various reasons I cannot state ingredient percentages or even the exact 'products' I'm using, but I can say that it is a standard WPC80 variant. If there are any ideas regarding what I can do to overcome this problem it would be greatly appreciated. The gum decreases the froth but does not seem to eradicate the small lumps of WPC that seem to turn to a super smooth consistency (which housing dry powder within, dependant on the size of the clump) when it contacts the water or is left in the water for extended periods of time (such as 30 seconds, but it really can be any amount of time, though it's worse the longer it is idle in the water without being mixed). 

Things we have tried so far to fix the issue:

Two different WPC sources. Both clumped.
Varying amounts of gum. We want to keep the protein content high so we cannot add any more without a decrease in the protein content which hurts the nutritional profile versus competitors.

Things we want to try if the feedback concurs:

A larger mixing trial for the formulation. So far we have been working off 60g batches with a rather crude mixing method (i.e.: shaking it around in a container). My question here would be "Will a larger mixing trial actually likely result in the formulation suddenly mixing perfectly and not clumping?" to which my gut response is "no". I want to be wrong! Can someone please tell me if they think otherwise or agree with me?
We would like to try Fonterra WPC. However, they are a little tricky to get WPC from for product trials. Does anyone think that Fonterra whey would make any considerable difference to the clumping?
Decrease the amount of gum. If people think that gum is the most likely culprit for the clumping.

Any and all feedback will be much appreciated. I just want to get past this hurdle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic