Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fruit based gelato, HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fruit based gelato, HELP
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:24pm
I am currently working on my gelato base because I would like to reduce the cost of raw materials and am running into the following problem.

When base comes out of the batch freezer it is absolutely perfect, creamy YUM.. However when put at -15 and frozen it becomes crumbly (as in, as I scoop the gelato ball will break). If I bring it up to a higher temperature it is perfect. So i am assuming a bit more sugar (one that does not sweeten as I like the sweetness where it is) will fix that problem.

However I have yet another problem! I make fruit based gelato, I add in the fruit after pasturization and before the batch freezer. For every 3 kilos of base I add aproximately 1 kilo of fruit. With mango everything worked out exactly like it did in the base (actually it was smoother at a lower temperature then the base) however with strawberry the ice cream becomes very brittle.

Considering the tests I did with the base at differing temperatures I was thinking it could be because of a lack of sugar. however I am not sure. On the site it suggests I add more MSNF however this base actually has a higher % of MSNF and lesser % of whole milk with the fat content reduced by 1% (6% fat, 17% sugars).

Also of note is that i put the fruit paste in as a whole for the mango and strawberry, I do not filter out the pulp as my clients seem to like having a little pulp in there.
Sponsored Links

pman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:24pm
any help is appreciated
michael View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:25pm
It is some years since I last made gelato. I have some suggestions that might be of use. However, there are a few shy site users who have considerable experience of this product taht might post so I will leave my response for a day or so. Do you use a stabiliser?
pman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:25pm
Yes, currently I am using EC-25 that was recommended to me by a chemist I know here and the texture of the ice cream improved with the original formula so I stuck with that.
I have solved the issue with the current formula by increasing the total solids for the gelato to just a hair shy of 33% and combined stabilizer and emulsifier of about .8% of weight. Happy with the texture results and my gelato decorations are looking better than ever now. At first I increased the solids to 35% but when taste testing out of the pasteurizer I noticed a little bit of a sandy feel at the back of my throat after consuming so I threw 5k of water into it and that solved the issue.
Now I’m trying to make the process simpler for my employees and want to skip pasteurizing, as all the products we use have already been pasteurized. The problem I now have to figure out is that I use carragenin in the mix and that forces me to heat the mix up. My emulsifiers are carragenin and I mix in guar/xanthan at a 75%/25% ratio. Is there a rule of thumb to replace carragenin with increased guar/xanthan that I can use?
The stream line is mainly a business need I am really not in the mood to buy another pasteurizer and the pasteurization and aging process is taking.. well.. ages hehe. I see a lot of ready mixes on the market to buy but I want to come up with our own unique texture and taste for our products. Also the flexibility would be nice, if we sold more of a flavor then we were expecting I could put some more out in minutes instead of having to go through and make a large amount of gelato and take a day doing it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic