Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

5% Low Fat Gelato Mix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
saketh86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saketh86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5% Low Fat Gelato Mix
    Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 5:51am
Thank you, il work on it and definitely post the results soon.
Sponsored Links

formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:52pm

Here is a specification that should work fairly well. However you may have to tweak it for your particular circumstances e.g. slightly increase / decrease sugar content.

Low fat ice-cream mix formulation for soft serve ice cream

Fat (%)

MSNF (%)

13-14

Sucrose (%)

Glucose (%)

Emulsifier/Stabilizer (%)

Use the free ice cream mix calculator and this specification  to work out the quantities of ingredients required.

Note no guaranties or warranties are offered or implied by the provision of this 'free' information.

Please let me know how things work out.
saketh86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saketh86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 5:00am
Gelato is ideally served semi frozen, it is ice cream that has a very low overrun of 20-30%.The product life which i intend for will be 4-5 days maximum, trying to keep it as fresh as possible.I want to serve it in up in scoops so scoopability will be a must.

6% fat mix is also not a problem, gelatos traditionally contain 5.7% fat. Any  recipies/formulations for a 6% fat mix without eggs would also be great if you can kindly share it.

Thanks.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 9:33pm

Are you trying to produce soft serve ice cream?

This type of ice cream is only stored for a few days and generally MSNF levels are not as critical as with ice cream that must be stable for some months; you can increase MSNF by addition of e.g. glucose CSS.

BTW Glucose has 75% the sweeting power of sucrose.

I don't have any recipes for 5% fat ice cream- but do have good recipes for 6% fat ice creams- so I cannot give you precise information on how much glucose to add. I suggest you add 10 % sucrose (cane or table sugar) to your mix and add varying amounts of glucose until you get the mix right. I suggest you test added glucose concentrations ranging from 1-2%.

The article on ice cream references some excellent textbooks and these also contain some recipes that might help you.

saketh86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saketh86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2010 at 7:41am
Thank you, how do i  incorporate glucose powder into the mix? as CSS are not available to me.Glucose powder that is available to me has a sweetening power of 45-50 and 95% solids.At what percentage should the glucose powder be used to improve the freezing properties.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 10:23pm

I will help get you started.

1. You need to balance the fat (5%) in your mix with sugar. Go to http://www.dairyscience.info/ice-cream-/154-ice-cream-mix.html and look at the relationship between fat and sugar. The information suggests that 10% sugar should balance the fat in your mix. This is an approximate result.

2. Next calculate the MSNF required to provide a balanced mix. Subtract the fat, sugar and emulsifier / stabiliser percentages from 100 and divide by 7 - see http://www.dairyscience.info/ice-cream-/154-ice-cream-mix.html . The emulsifier / stabiliser manufacturer will provide the recommended concentration for their product (s). This is usually around 1%.

3. Now that you know the MSNF required you can use the free ice cream mix calculator at http://www.dairyscience.info/newCalculators/calculator/index.php to work out the quantities you require.

4. Finally you will need to do some testing to fine tune the mix.
saketh86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saketh86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2010 at 5:46am
Hello,

I am planning to make my own gellato mix at 5 % butter fat using wholemilk(3,5%), skimmed milk powder, sugar, stabilizer/emulsifier blend and glucose(powdered).The product is intended for health consious people hence the low butter fat.What should be the msnf% and the total solids% for a 5% butter fat gelato mix with out significantly affectng mouth feel.Kindly help me out i am a newbie in this field.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic