Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custard cream with egg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custard cream with egg
    Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 7:52pm
Hi!

Hope you or other readers might help? I make a mean dessert using heavy cream, honey, egg yolks, a little well water and a touch of natural flavors. I whip this and freeze in my ice maker and serve to the family. This goes down great and wonder if I could patent and sell this from home? Any thoughts really apprecaited!

LJ
Sponsored Links

Linda-J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 12:12am
Hello

Me again! I suppose I'd have to fine tune my ice cream to sell it? Can you help?

LJ
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 9:39pm
Hello Linda and welcome to the forum.

There is a very good US forum for small scale ice cream making and I will post the URL over the next day or so. I think that they may be able to get you started.

Ice cream can mean different things to different people and you should find out what the legal definition is where you live before you attempt to sell your product. In most countries ice cream must contain a certain minimum level of milk solids and you may wish to check what this is so that you can comply. You will also have to meet hygiene regulations.

Eggs may contain salmonella and very small numbers of salmonella can cause serious illness. in some cases, death. For this reason mixes containing raw egg should be heat treated to kill any pathogens present. Hence I am obliged to advise that you should not  serve this product to your family unless the mix is first heat treated. Happy to recommend a heat treatment if you want to discuss further.

I have a spreadsheet to allow people making what I call frozen cream desserts to vary the concentrations of  ingredients so that they can optimise their mixes and will consider making this available.

Linda-J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 11:36pm
I use organic eggs! Must I heat my mix?
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 6:49pm
Yes! Regulatory Authorities require all egg products to be 'pasteurised' regardless of how produced. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic