Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Ice Cream Plant Production.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ElJuancho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElJuancho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Ice Cream Plant Production.
    Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 11:45am
Yes, you're right Admin, i've been researching, and in most cases Listeria contamination has ocurred in factories that let age their mix for more than 24 hours Btw: thanks for your kind hel admin!
Sponsored Links

formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 12:04am
Lee William's response reflects modern developments in emulsifier stabiliser technology. Guar gum is normally completely solubilised without too much difficulty in around 2 hours. One other disadvantage of long ageing times is the potential for the growth of bacteria, in particular listeria. So don't age more than you need to.

ElJuancho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElJuancho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 10:29pm
Hi Mr. Williams!!! Wooow! Thank you very much for answering!! I'm very pleased with your response!! Well the reason why i've been told i need to age the mix for 12 hours is because i put some Guar Gum on my recipes! And a local gelato maker nearby! Told me that 12 hours is the ideal time for letting the emulsifier make its job! But honestly i'm more convinced with your advice!! I think 12 hours is like "too much" and in terms of time! It wouldn't be profitable for my small business! I have an artisanal Batch freezer (discontinous) Thank you very much for your time!! I'll be contacting you in the DSc. Website!! To clarify some things!!! Thank you very much admin!!
Gelato-Artisan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gelato-Artisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 5:37pm
Dear Friend

My names is Lee Williams from the Gelato-Artisan Academy in Calstock, Cornwall in the UK. I will try to assist you with your two questions, but at this point I'm not sure if you have a continuous freezer or an artisan batch freezer? This will not effect the advice here. 

If you were starting from scratch today,(you say you have already got the equipment), I would suggest you simply buy a 3-in-1 Ice cream maker, such as the Icetech TP5 made by Frigogelo Italy. This type of machine would give you 10 Ltrs of both pasteurised mix and finished Ice cream every 10 mins. So 100Ltrs ph. Ready to go into your pots. Your artisan ingredients would not need to be aged as you would be using the 'shock freeze' method now empolyed by many top Artisan producers throughout the World. Aging is usually essential if you are using powders as these need to be re-hydrated and the fats can crystallise badly. Using Smimed Milk Powders as a total replacement to fresh liquid milk or using concentrated butter/vegetable fats in place of fresh dairy creams will make ageing essential, but not for a whole 12 hours, this is 'over doing it in most cases'. Because a 3-in-1 machine uses the 'shock freeze' method, the pasteurised mix at a tempurature of 80/85C is cooled super fast reduceing the mix to -7/9C in less that 6/10 mins. All the issues associated with 'fat crystallisation' normally associated with a rapid cooling phase are removed and negated. The Artisan can produce perfect stable mix into Gelato/Ice cream time after time. You would also benefit by flavouring the 'white base' whilst it's hot, this makes the flavouring addatives mix perfectly in particular nut fats and pre-paste chocolates.

If you already have the equipment you mention then we must work with that: 

So may I ask why you have been told you must age for 12 hours?
Why you have a ratio of Pasteurised to Ageing storage of 50/50?

Most Factories who operate a 100 Ltrs batch Pasteurisation vat would consider makeing every 2/3 hours and then moving  the cooled or cooling mix over to an ageing vat. You would use the cooking vat to make only, (1-2 hours max) and move the mix to Ageing tanks. So if you did this 3 times in a working day you would need ageing/storage tanks of 300 Ltrs. If used in rotation and if some mixes were aged over night (12 hours due to 'down time') you would need extra vats. If your Pasteuriser will also hold the mix at a chill tempurature then you dont realy need the Ageing vats other than as Flavouring/holding vats to realise the Pasteuriser to do its job 'cook Ice cream'. To be clear most Artisans using fresh milk & cream as you suggest is your intention, have no need to age for more than 1-2 hours, 4 hours being a luxury in terms of 'time'. Modern combind Stabiliser/Emulsifiers need little more than this 'resting time' to do their work.

I would assume you are going to flavour your 3 batches 'cold', if so you would be starting with at least 2 x 50 Ltrs of base mix. If you draw this off in a hygienic manner  into S/S pails of 10/20 Ltrs in size, you add your flavours. If you have a Batch Freezer you pour each in as needed. If you have a Continuous Freezer you pour them back into the feeding vat ( one of the 2 x 50 Ltrs tanks).

I see no reason why you shouldn't make 12 each day the only decider of all production is your finished product storage, a point usually missed by producers until it arrives!

Should you need further help or clairification please contact me through the DSc site.

ElJuancho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElJuancho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 2:33pm
Hi Admin!! Ohh that's Awesome!! Thank you very much i hope Mr. Williams can clear up some of my doubts!!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 2:16pm
Lee Williams has agreed to act as a moderator. Hopefully this will speed up responses to queries and give readers the benefit of Lee's significant commercial experience as an artisan gelato maker.
ElJuancho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElJuancho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 10:29pm
Thank you admin i'd be really thankfull! Of read some advices!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 9:14pm
I will alert Lee Williams one of the contributors to this site about your posting and hopefully he will respond. He deals with queries like this every day. It is not necessary to age for 12 hours. Try 4 and see if there is much difference.
ElJuancho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElJuancho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 4:23pm
Hello everyone! I've been brwsing here among all the topics and i find this forum really interesting. Well these are my questions:

I'm planning to open a really small Ice cream production plant, in a small place! I have alredy bought a 100 liters Pasteurizer, two 50 liters Ageing tanks and one 60 liters discontinuos batch freezer. My goal is to have an available stock with at least 12 diffrent flavors to offer, in 1 pint, and 1 quart presentations and selling it to retailers and minimarkets. I have experience making small quantities of artisan ice cream with 100% of natural ingredients, but as i'm telling i'd like to expand my production and, of course this is totally a New Challenge for me. The questions are;

1) how can i Produce at least 3 diffrent flavors per day with the limited machinery i have already mentioned?

Considering that the optimal Ageing time for an ice cream Mix must be 12 hours (overnight), that means that i should prepare and pasteurize the mix in the afternoon and then letting it in the ageing tank till the next morning, but that also means that maybe i only would have the chance to produce 1 flavor per day... Is that right?

2) How can i optimize and organize my daily/weekly production of flavors? should i buy a couple more ageing tanks? For each Mix (flavor) i want to produce?? I mean How some small creamerys can produce more than one flavor per day?

Thank you very much!! Any little piece of help will be really preciated!! as i told before i have no experience in this new level of production!! For that reason i'd like to read some advices!! Thank you!!

Juan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic