Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Cheese quality > Cheese quality
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with protein coagulation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with protein coagulation
    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 3:51pm
I am sorry I cannot recommend encapsulated acid suppliers. Using cold water and fast mixing should help and I would like to hear the results. I wonder if you could get a powder with glucono delta-lactone (GDL),instead of malic acid. Using GDL might solve your problem.
Sponsored Links

Jonhny123 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonhny123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 2:54pm
Thank you for your support.
For the cold water, I will try this method for sure.
For the encapsulated acid, as far as I know, the problem is that the particle size of encapsulated acids is often large which can lead to uneven dry mixture. So, are there any encapsulated available in small particle size? Please guide me more!
Thank you so much
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2019 at 10:55am
Sorry for delay in responding. It looks as though you have identified the cause of the problem, the malic acid present in your powder. It would seem that the acid is causing protein precipitation as you are mixing in the water. If so, then it may be possible to reformulate your mix and use encapsulated malic acid. Using  colder water and  faster hydration using an appropriate mixing unit might also help. 

You off course do have a solution that you know works. Adding the malic acid after the mix is hydrated.
Jonhny123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonhny123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2019 at 1:38pm
Hello everyone,
I have just been A new member of the forum. Actually, i am currently getting a problem with my dairy product. I really appreciate if receive all of your advices.
My product contains cheese powder, vegetable fat powder, emusifier (E471) and malic acid. I use malic acid for coagulation of the mixture. The problem is that when i put tap water into the mixture (containing malic acid powder before), then stir, there is something causing sandiness after the protein is coagulated. But when putting water first, stir the mixture and then add malic acid, the product is created with smooth mouthfeel and no sandiness. And my desired product must contain malic acid in the powdered mixture, not adding after putting water into.
So, could you please tell me how to overcome this problem. Thnak you very much
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic