Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Ice cream > Ice cream
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making ice cream using whole milk powder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making ice cream using whole milk powder
    Posted: 20 May 2011 at 11:52pm
The tutorial can be accessed under the ice cream menu link at http://www.dairyscience.info/ice-cream-/202-wmp-cream.html .
Sponsored Links

Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 10:12pm
I have had a surprising number of Emails asking for information on how to calculate mix formulations using whole milk powder (WMP) and cream or mixtures of cream and vegetable fat. Despite my reminders that there are two Excel spreadsheets on the site that can be used to undertake most mix calculations using WMP there is some interest in finding out how to do these calculations from first principles.

None of the queries were from students.

I have prepared a tutorial showing how to work out the ingredients required to obtain  a mix specification containing WMP and a series of On Line calculators to illustrate how to undertake the calculations.

The quantities of WMP and cream are calculated by solving a simple simultaneous equation.

The tutorial will be available shortly.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 7:32pm
Pack 6 of the Excel spreadsheets available on this site contain customised spreadsheets for product development / small batch mix manufacture designed to work using whole milk powder and cream as the major ingredients. With the exception of the macro code (needed to fine tune the MSNF mass balance) all the calculations are shown. You can download from here. However, a small contribution towards site running costs is required
I am not aware of any worked example apart from my spreadsheets that show how to do calculations using cream and whole milk powder. I will consider adding an example to this site but currently there is little interest in this ingredient combination.
pingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 5:38pm
Mr. Michael, I have tryed all the menthodes you suggested me, but it seems it doesnt work. We I have to multiply with 0.09?? I think this what confuses me! There is no example with WMP so I find it very difficult. Do you have any spreadsheed usein WHMP, watter and Cream?

Any help would be welcomed!

Thank you in advance
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 9:41pm
Welcome to the forums.

1. I am not sure where you got your value for MSNF for whole milk powder (WMP); your value as you suspect is incorrect. The MSNF of WMP can be obtained by subtracting the fat and moisture values from 100. Assuming 3% moisture and 26% fat your WMP should have a MSNF of 71%.

2. Ice cream mix calculations are fairly easy to do providing you understand the basics. The principles of the calculations are described on this site. The calculations using WMP and cream are slighter more difficult but still easy to do. Note the free 'lite' ice cream mix calculator has not been configured to work with whole milk powder but this option can be negotiated for the subscription calculator.

3. You can also download an Excel spreadsheet configured to work with WMP and cream.
pingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 2:43pm
Hello everybody.

I am new here and I have to say that the site is very usefull. I work with gelato. I am very satisfied with my product and dont need to change anything about it, but when I saw theese calculations I became courious to find the percentage of fat, sugat, especialy msnf on my gelato, but I found it hard. I use whole milk powder which is about 26% fat and cream (vegetable - liquid) which is 30 % fat. The difficulti started just in the begining when I tryed to calculate the serums needed, cs the cream is liqud and also there are other liquides. Also i cant calculate the % msnf in my whole milk powder cs it looks to me a little bit unlogical if there is 26% fat, than no way there can be 97% MSNF. Any help would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 9:38pm
There has been a surprising level of interest in spreadsheets for working with WPM and cream. I have also had two enquiries about how to use both vegetable fat and dairy fat in mixes and I have added an additional two spreadsheets to show how to undertake these calculations.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 10:04pm
UPDATED 15 May 2011

Sue your post is only  the second query ( now lots of queries) I have had concerning the use of WMP in ice cream since the site was created! The first query in June 2010 was not posted on the forum and came from a person making ice cream in Asia. I quickly produced a spreadsheet- WMP + cream and found that under certain conditions that an error of more than 1% in the MSNF balance could be obtained due to the approximations used. Because of lack of time I used the Goal Solve option in Excel to write a simple Macro and produced a useful spreadsheet which was later further adapted by the person concerned. I suggest you consider doing this.

I have no plans  to produce a WMP spreadsheet at present but will do if there is sufficient interest.

Spreadsheets showing how to calculate the ingredients required to make mixes using WMP, cream and cream/vegetable fat mixes have been produced and can be downloaded from the site. Additionally a tutorial showing how to calculate these mixes from first principles has been produced and will be available shortly.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 11:57pm
We have started using WMP to make up mixes. Having probs doing the calcs. You have no spreadsheets for WMP as an ingredient. Would you consider adding one?

Our calculations show MSNF on high side. Ideas?

Sue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic