Dairy Science and Food Technology Homepage
Home  Cheese starters Donate support Site  Probiotics Cheese yield  Cheese quality Cheese science  Italian cheese Anti-microbial  proteins  Phages Primary production  Ice cream Wine Calculators  Harvard referencing  Packaging  Jobs
Forum Home Forum Home > Site calculators and spreadsheet queries > Spreadsheet and site calculators
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ice cream mix calculations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
formula123 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ice cream mix calculations
    Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 10:26pm
I have converted the spreadsheet so that it will work on line.

You can access it at http://www.dairyscience.info/gelato.asp . Test your mixes out here for a day or so. I will remove this free facility within the next few days.
Sponsored Links

Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 8:43pm
Ciao

1. You need to understand how to go from an ice cream mix formulation or specification ( % fat, %sugar, % MSNF and so on) to working out the weights of the different ingredients that will supply these components. I give a brief explanation at http://www.dairyscience.info/ice-cream-.html .

2. Your specification is straightforward, we know the % MSNF, fat etc values you need in your mix.

3. You appear to be using skim milk powder as your MSNF source and butter as your fat source. This makes the calculations straightforward.

4. It takes about 5 mins to customise the Single source MSNF spreadsheets-------  "Pack 1. Single source of MSNF calculators" at  http://www.dairyscience.info/technology/180-excel-ice-cream.html to work out the ingredients and by adding a simple additional table, batch sizes can easily be calculated.

5. I have saved a customised spreadsheet as a HTML file- this has no functionality- to show you how to do this. Please see http://www.dairyscience.info/example.html .

6. If you down load the pack 1 spreadsheets I will send you the customised spreadsheet.

Hope this gets you started.

Mike

ultratech2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultratech2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 3:59pm

Hello Michael

Thanks for your prompt reply. Admittedly no - I was unable to find the spreadsheet information pages until late last night when I got home.  I will be downloading them sometime this week as I am home from work.

I am currently using fresh egg yolk as an emulsifier and a very small amount of guar gum 1/8 teaspoon for 1000g of mix as a stabilizer that have to weigh it to get its percentage. I would like to explore other stabilizers, thickeners etc as my current mix isnt quite where I would like it to be in terms of creaminess,  etc. and I know commercially available Gelato bases are using guar/xanthan blends, carageenan, etc. 

Thanks for your help - I will await your assesment.

Ciao
Admin Group
Admin Group

Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote formula123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:20am
Alex

I have just noted your post but it is too late to respond now, after midnight. I will respond at around 8 PM tomorrow.

Have you downloaded the custom spreadsheet at http://www.dairyscience.info/technology/180-excel-ice-cream.html ? Look at the screen shot of the spreadsheet.

More at 8 PM or so.
ultratech2008 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultratech2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:20pm
Hi

New to this forum - I am hoping someone can help. I am trying to develop a scaleable recipe
for Gelato bases so I can experiment in small batches and when applicable reproduce these recipes
on a large (commercial) scale. 

I have some guidelines to follow concerning ingredient percentages, but I am unsure how to go about
making these percentages into a recipe based on weights.  I currently use bakers percentages to make pizza dough, but ice cream and gelato present further challenges due to the ingredients
containing some percent of other ingredients ie milk 91% h20 and 9 % MSNF so when a certain ingredient is increased other ingredients may need to be decreased.

I am going with these as a starting point: 

sugar 14%
fat 7%
msnf 10%
stabilizer .5%
H20 %60

I was unsure how to convert this to a recipe based on weights ie for 1000g of base
I would need 140g of sugar, 70g of fat, 100g of MSNF etc.  
I am just a bit confused about where I should begin my calculations because of the relationships between the ingredients. 

So far I have come up with the following - if anyone can shed some light on what I am missing or direct me to a more simplistic method I would be grateful. I looked under the spreadsheet section of this forum, but don't see any ss?

TOTAL MIX 1000g
sugar 14% = 140g sugar
fat 7% = 84g butter @ 84% fat = 70g FAT
MSNF 10% skim pwdr @95% MSNF 5% H20 100g   37g = 35g msnf + 66g from skim milk =101 g
H20 (skim milk) @91% H20, 9% msnf 660g skim milk = 600g H20, 66g MSNF
Stabilizer is where it all gets hazy. Using Egg yolk at a recommended .5%
where egg yolk = 30% fat,17% Other solids, 53% water. 
half a percent of 1000g would be 5g 30g of egg yolk should net 5g of stabilizer and some additional h20, and fat.

For anyone with experience using scalable ice cream formulas do these calcs look pretty good? 
Not so much what the percentages are to make gelato or ice cream, but the way I reverse calculated these percents from a 1000g total base. 

Thanks for reading my terribly long post. I am attending a course in November, but would prefer not to wait until then to begin researching my base composition. Cheers

Alex W

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic